Our Strategic Plan frames our aims and objectives for the next five years. It will enable us to build on our mission and deliver measurable outcomes and impact, in the context of our purpose and values.
The Strategic Planning Process
The strategic plan is the product of a robust process that involved teams of faculty, students, staff, alumni, businesses, and Board members developing an ambitious path to guide the organisation for the next five years. The plan is rooted in UU’s existing strengths while embracing the future, with all the opportunities and challenges that future presents. The plan draws on an extensive analysis of UU’s current strengths, opportunities, and positioning relative to our peers; an examination of best practices and trends in higher education; and, most importantly, robust input and feedback from a wide range of UU community members at all stages of development.
To positively contribute to the educational and economic development of local communities and the region as a whole, through the provision of accessible, internationally recognised educational programmes, which focus on developing professional skills.
To become a leading provider of tertiary education, which combines e-learning with face-to-face instruction.
To contribute to relevant scientific research, which serves the interests of local communities in the countries in which we are present.
Our Core Values
Personal and academic integrity
Good governance and management
We widen educational opportunities
Professionalism and diligence
We advance the public good by teaching and generating knowledge
Multi-cultural awareness and tolerance
Sustainability of resources
Personalised attention and student focus
Partnerships – Internationally Recognised Qualifications Unicaf University and its associated institutions are registered and approved by a number of different jurisdictions in countries around the world.
Unicaf University is committed to maintaining high academic standards, enhancing the quality of teaching and learning offered, and providing a high quality learning experience for its students.
The professionalism and creativity of our faculty, individually and collectively, make a vital contribution to the enhancement of the learning experience, from the individual attention given to each student, to the development of new disciplines, and engagement with the teaching process.
Inspired by our heritage of pioneering institution building in geographies with underserved tertiary education sectors, we are strongly committed to transforming individuals through knowledge creation, and enriching communities through the development of enabling skill sets necessary for building a sustainable future through innovative higher education solutions in Africa and beyond.
Our ambition moves beyond mere provision of a high quality, affordable, technologically enabled and accessible education. It extends to working in life-long partnership with our students to nurture and develop their potential beyond graduation and into employment with a full understanding of the complexity of global challenges they will face, and having developed the skill sets, commitment and determination to help resolve them.
Our aims 2018 to 2023
Our deliverable ambition for the next five years is focussed on five cornerstones:
- Expand on global partnerships and our network of campuses.
- To promote Unicaf as the partner of choice for global partnership in implementing innovative delivery models. Partner with institutions to offer quality affordable degrees using innovative delivery models. Expand our network of highly efficient, modern centres and campuses to enable and support excellence in teaching and learning and enhance the student experience through flexibility of delivery and connectivity of support.
- Excellence in student experience
- We consider students as the most vital participants within our academic community. They are the life blood of an excellent university experience. They will be involved in stimulating learning through doing, within an outstanding academic infrastructure through which support, digital resources, an active peer group and international expertise is just a click away. At the same time, their experience will be rooted in real, local, physical support and community activities through our centres and campuses. Offer more flexibility of our modes of operation in teaching and learning to allow students to study effectively without relaxing their commitment to supporting their families through work. Students will be able to embrace opportunities and challenges, making meaningful contributions in their own way. Unicaf University students will develop the knowledge and skills to be critical thinkers, entrepreneurs, commentators, citizens and activists.
- Excellence in knowledge exchange and developing research capacity
- Academic networks and connections are vital in developing and nurturing research capacity that has the potential of having a genuine local and regional impact across the subject areas with which we engage. Our internationally connected academic community, through the regional network of centres and campuses, will be our framework for achieving this in collaboration with our partners. We will continue to develop partnerships for research and knowledge exchange to deliver authentic and impactful outputs which will develop professional practices, benefit local and regional society and inform our own teaching through ‘brain gain’, helping to reverse the current trend of ‘brain drain’ in Africa where talented individuals travel overseas for their research training. Recruit and retain scholars who are leaders in their field and who will contribute positively to the research strategy of the university. Build the capacity for staff across all disciplines. Provide more opportunities for students to undertake research during their degrees.
- Increase access and affordability to quality higher education
- Use technology to increase access to quality higher education by offering online programmes. Offer more flexibility in the delivery of programmes using technology. Offer programmes at a price which is affordable to students in the developing world. Improve on the classroom experience by utilising a variety of tools.
- Innovation in teaching and learning
- To innovate in teaching and learning improving student success rates and well-being broadening academic perspectives stimulating social consciousness and cultivating critical citizens. Improve the curriculum and pedagogy. Expose students to ways of thinking beyond their disciplinary specialisations. Expand opportunities for developing entrepreneurial skills. Use technology for students to be locally rooted, but internationally connected through forums and our innovative VLE and support model, extending their experience into international standard teaching, learning, research and knowledge exchange networks and activities.